STORIES FOR PUBLISHERS
AD UNIT SETUP DOCS
This doc will take you through the changes required to DFP ad units in order to support Picnic Stories.
Picnic’s Stories format for AMP Pages do not require any of Picnic’s code to be added to your page.
The only requirement is your AMP page must have an AMP ad unit which supports the 320 x 480 size.
The first part of the document (Developer Instructions) will outline how to add the 320 x 480 size as part of an
<amp-ad> multisize placement. Using this placement allows you to include all your existing ad unit sizes (e.g. 320x50 or 300x250).
In order to receive Picnic’s Stories demand you must then set up an AMP inventory only PMP with Picnic’s DV360 seat. Instructions for this will be covered in the second part of the document (AdOps Instructions) This section also covers how to traffic a test tag.
To watch a guided tutorial of the process, click here. Alternatively, follow the instructions below.
All instructions assume you are setting up a new ad unit, however an existing ad unit can be edited as appropriate.
1. SETUP THE AD UNIT IN DFP
- Within DFP > Inventory > Ad Units, generate a new ad unit or edit an existing
- For Sizes, select Fixed Size and enter 320x480 as well as any other ad sizes you choose.
- Add 300x250 as a secondary size to ensure you maintain your existing MPU demand.
- Enter all other settings as per your preferences, then click Save
2. GENERATE THE TAG
- Click Generate Tags
- Select Tag Type > Accelerated Mobile Pages
- Multi Size Validation > Uncheck (this allows you to have a secondary size e.g. 300x250 which is less than 2/3rds of primary size 320x480)
- All other tag settings as per your existing standards
- A tag will be generated
- Manually add the property: data-loading-strategy=”prefer-viewability-over-views”. This is an AMP property “which optimizes for viewability without drastically impacting the impressions”. Contact email@example.com if you’d like to discuss this detail.
- Example tag:
<amp-ad width=320 height=480 type="doubleclick" data-slot="/1234567/slot" data-multi-size="300x250" data-multi-size-validation="false" data-loading-strategy="prefer-viewability-over-views"> </amp-ad>
3. PUSH THE TAG TO YOUR SITE
- Add or replace the generated tag to the HTML code for your site
IMPORTANT: If your tag looks different from this, please retrace your steps or contact firstname.lastname@example.org before adding the code to your page.
NOTE: all ‘Developer Instructions’ steps, above, must be completed before starting the Adops steps.
1. SERVE TEST CREATIVE TO PAGE (OPTIONAL)
- New Creative > Campaign Manager Tag
- Redirect URL:
- Once you click Save this should render a preview
- Set up a line item targeting the new 320x480 AMP ad unit
- Add the uploaded creative to the Line Item
2. GENERATE AN AMP ONLY DEAL
In AdX, generate a Preferred Deal using the following conditions:
- Picnic seat: Picnic Media - MightyHive - DV360 - UK (1498031)
- Targeting: this should only target the AMP placement containing the 320x480 size. NOTE: each publisher has their own specific way of targeting only AMP inventory. Contact email@example.com if you want to discuss your options.
- IMPORTANT The 320x480 size needs to be explicitly added to both the Ad Manager Line Item and AdX Deal. Not explicity specifying the size in both places is the most common reason for the deal not sending impressions
- Price: As agreed with Picnic account manager
Once the deal is set up please notify your Picnic account manager. We will then target the deal and deliver impressions, confirming the pipes are working.